Random Thought After a Weekend of Racing

Afternoon Races.

Afternoon and evening races can be harder and more mentally taxing than morning races.

From a physical perspective, you don’t want to do too much which will leave the body too tired to race. On the other hand, not doing anything can leave you lethargic. Sometime I get it right and then there are times that I feel like I am running in mud. You just never know.

Then there is eating. How much should I eat? When should I eat it? After so many races you would think that I have a system, but honestly, I change it from year to year.

Mentally, we all feel a little tired at the end of the day. Gathering together the energy to drive to a race, run the race, and drive home late after the race sometime makes it feel like it is more than it is worth. But I love racing so end up doing it.

Masters Awards vs. Open Award

This is a topic that I never gave much thought until I moved into the Master’s ranks a few years ago. But each time it happens to me, it is one of the most frustrating. Let me explain.

I guess when Race Directors set up the awards for their race, they do not expect any Masters Runners to finish well enough to win an open award.

So they give a nice award to the winner lesser awards for 2nd and 3rd and then a nice award to the top Master. This is not the part that I have a problem with. My issue is when you have a Masters Runner finish in open and the award given in the open awards are far less than the Masters award. In every case that I have been involved I have never been kicked down to the Masters award. Maybe it is being petty of me to make an issue of this but I work just as hard as the next guy. Why should I get the Masters award?

But give me some credit; I always take the high road. Creating an ugly incident during the award ceremony doesn’t do anyone any good and certainly doesn’t promote change that I want. Usually, I contact the Race Director after the race. By and large, they are open to the comments and suggestions to improve their races. The problem with this approach is that it is on a case by case basis. I can never win the war – just the individual battles.

Comments

Popular Posts