100 miles for the week on my bike

I am not sure why the century mark seems to hold so much significance for me. Many years ago, I regular ran many 70, 80, and 90 miles in a week, but I had never run 100miles in one week.

Then, without any prep I just went out and did it. I remember thinking afterwards; all that I did for that week was run, run and run some more.

When last week started, I was planning a normal week of bike riding. Monday, I did just over 20+. Tuesday, I did a little less than 30.

Then after running 20 miles on Wednesday, I was back on the bike Thursday for 30+ miles.

Usually this wraps up a week of riding for me but suddenly Saturday morning got opened up and I was free to ride.

I jumped at the chance.

I started the morning off with 16 miles of running with Jeff from the Lake Norman Y. Came home for some refueling before heading out on the bike.

I guess I was excited by the fact that I was going to break a hundred for the week. Riding up the hills, I was churning along in a bigger gear and my rhythm seemed to be smoother than ever.

I finished the ride with 21 miles and topped out the week at 103.

Now, I thinking about two other items on my bucket list: riding 100 miles in day on the bike and running 100 miles in 24 hours. If I get the chance, I will do a 100 mile bike ride this summer. But running 100 miles in 24 hours will have to wait a few more years. There are a few more marathon goals that I want to achieve first. . And after running 100 miles, I might just be ready to walk away from running and racing.

Comments

Popular Posts