Think Safety First


This morning, I was running along the South Main trail at the Whitewater Center enjoying another one of Carolina’s best hot and humid summer days. For the most part, the trails were quiet. There was the occasional runner or mt. biker but as I said, the trails were otherwise quiet.

While cruising along next to the river, I heard mt. biker coming up behind me. I instinctively moved to the left to let him pass. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see him passing. Then, as if in slow motion, I could see him falling. Mentally, I tried to make sense of what I was seeing. Momentum carried my several steps down the trail where I came to halt and went back to help.

The guy had rolled out in to the trail, but what caught my eye was his 3 or 4 year old son lying next to the handle bars. Both seemed to be okay. The boy never cried.

Apparently, a brier snagged his handle bar and pulled them down.

They both got back on the bike and headed off as if nothing ever happened.

I spent the rest of my run thinking about it. I was reminded of the many times that I had taken my daughters on bike rides. Albeit, I never took them on a mt. bike ride.

I admit that I done a few dumb things while running and riding. There is an inherit risk to life and health anytime that I stepped outside my front door. Putting myself at risk is one thing. However, I never have or would put my daughters at risk. Yeah, I know that I can have an accident anywhere. That doesn’t mean that I should go looking for it. The risk of an accident on a mt. bike on a trail exponentially higher. I guess that I just cannot imagine why he would even doing it.

Strange isn’t how each of us view the world.

Growing up, I never wore a helmet or gloves. Yet, I learned there was a better way. I always wear a helmet and gloves now, and when my daughters ride, I make them wear both.

So maybe we do learn. Maybe we do learn from the generations before us what we can do better.

Let’s hope so.

Tails from the trail,

The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts