Big Butt 50K Race Recap


I was back in Lancaster, SC for the Claude’s Big Butt 4th of July 50k race this morning. My hope; I was prepared. Based on the Weatherman’s forecast, today was expected to be a hot one. Hot, it was.

When I finished, I checked the temperature display in my car. The display read 106 degrees. I felt every bit of it.

Claude shared via email that the race time was being moved back to 6:30. However, the Ultra Signup website had 7 AM so the start was delayed.

The temperature was already in the low 80s, and I was sweating just standing at the start.

Finally, Claude blew his whistle, and we were off.

Claude’s 50k consist of 5 x 10k loops with us starting in the center and doing an out and back loop first left and then to the right of the start.

By the mile, I was leading, but more importantly, I was sipping from the CamelBak at every mile. In full disclosure, I was training through this race so my legs didn’t have much pop in them.

The first 10k went by smoothly. Being familiar with the course from the last year, I knew exactly where the turns were located.

With the sun on the rise, the temperature were going up. I started to feel the weariness in my legs toward the end of the 2nd lap.

At the end of the 2nd lap, I grabbed a 2nd CamelBak from the car. I also downed a 16 bottle of water, and I grabbed some ice to dissolve in my mouth over the next mile.

I had enough water in my CamelBak to do laps 3 and 4 but I decided that quick stop was needed at the end of lap 3. I toweled off the extra sweat, sip some more water, and grabbed more ice.

After lap 4, I pulled out my last CamelBak and headed off.

Lap 5 was one of those times where I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. Helping to keep me going was the encouragement from the other runners. This is something I found awesome about Ultra races. There is so much support exchanged between the runners during the race because we all know what the others are facing.

I picked up the win in 4 hours 17 minutes and 9 seconds. Everyone was struggling with the heat. Most runners were reduced to walking or run/walking. Some were struggling with cramps. Some came in between laps and set under the tents to cool off.

Last year, I thought this race was hot, but in comparison, this race was way hotter. I have total respect for every runner there today. They all showed so much determination and drive.    

Kudo’s go out to Claude and his support team for putting on a great race. He does an awesome job taking care of the runners.

Tails from the trail,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts