“The Stevest” Race Recap


The Stevest” course welcomed me back in the only way that it knows how. Just over a mile in to the race, it reached out and slapped me to the ground – hard. According those running behind me, I hit the ground, did a perfect forward roll, and ended up back on my feet running. I thought I was going escape without any further damage, but just when I was feeling a bit “full” of myself, “The Stevest” reached out twice more and slapped me to the ground on the third and final lap. My right knee has the look of having been run through a meat grinder.

The Stevest” crew gave us some prerace instructions around 7:45, and we were off and running at 8 am. The temperatures were better than last year. The high only got to about 88 degrees vs. the 95 degrees last year. I settled in running with Kim for most of lap one. I was walking the steep sections, and I was running everywhere else. I decided to adopt this strategy for this race because I wanted to test out some ideas in preparation for my 100 miler later this year.

The second lap I ran solo. I really don’t remember much about it aside from feeling the heat and humidity ramp up.

I came in after the second, grabbed my last CamelBak, and headed out. I was actually feeling pretty good starting this lap. I probably ran those first few miles a little too hard. I caught a couple of people which were a few minutes in front of me.

Then, I settled in to my usual pace. I was on one of the switchback when a rock snagged my foot and down I went. The 3rd occurrence on an easy section. I was tired and not watching my footing and went down.

After my numerous falls last year, this year I decided to wear gloves. Maybe it looked dumb wearing gloves, but they saved my hands, and they also worked great for wiping away the sweat.

I ran my first lap in roughly 2:35, second lap in 2:40, and my third lap in 2:45 for a total running time for 43 miles of 8 hours on the nose. I knew it was going to be close, and I was pushing hard in the wrong sections. My quads didn’t like this, and I had to slow for a bit to let them recover. Then, slowly I started pushing the pace again. However, it just wasn’t enough to break the 8 hour barrier.

I was happy with my race. Running 8 hours was about 70 to 80 minutes faster than last year. The temperature helped, but what really helped was improving my hydration and nutrition.

I felt solid the entire race.

Big shout out to the “The Stevest” guys.  They did an awesome job with this race. I foolishly missed signing up before it maxed out, and I had to wait list. Yet about a week ago, I got an email asking if I still wanted to run it. I clicked on “accept” immediately. I also want to give them a kudos for adding ropes to the “Death Valley” descents. I used them with every lap.  

Anyone building for a fall race needs to make “The Stevest” part of their training plan. I used it last year in my prep for a 50 miler. This year, I am using to propel me toward both a 50 and 100 miler this fall.

Just remember, it isn’t if a fall will happen, it is when will it happen.

The Cool Down Runner

  


Comments

Popular Posts