30/20 Run


As I am putting together my 100 mile race training plan, I have been looking at number of different training plans. On a side note, there are so many plans that I could have my pick. However, in my case, I am attempting to merge concepts which I think will work best for me.

This is where the idea of a 30/20 run originated.

So what is a 30/20 run? A 30/20 run is where a runner goes 30 miles on the first day. The second day, the runner goes another 20 miles on those tired legs.

Yesterday, I ran the Big Butt 50k so this gave me the 30 part of the run. This morning, I was up early to knock out another 20 miles.

Let’s just say that I could still feel the fatigue in my legs. The first 5 were okay. The second 5, I felt it more. The 3rd 5, my legs were hating this idea. The 4th 5, I wondered what numb skull came up with this idea. Of course, there is always the numb skull was doing this run – mainly me.

Setting here now, I can see the value of these type of runs. Although, I am not so sure of the cardio value. To me, the real value here is how it callous the mind. We all have these imaginary boundaries which we limit us. Learning to keep pushing through those tough spots is the real value here. Realizing, the body has more to give. We just have to figure out how to dig it out.

It is like that tough teacher that you had in school. They pushed you to learn something that you never realized that you were capable of learning. We are all capable of more than we will ever realize.

Tails from the Trail

The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts