Sleep Deprivation


Sleep deprivation is not something that is typically a concern with my races. Even if I am running night race, the length has never been more than few hours.

Recently, I was talking with another ultra runner, and she was giving me a few tips to use in my preparation. Sleep deprivation caught my attention real fast because getting shuteye was not on my radar. Hearing her describe what it was like, I can only image the feeling of fatigue at 70 miles in the wee hours of morning. I suspect that body will just want rest. My eye lids will want to drop over my eyeballs, and my quads will just want it all to stop.

To prepare for it, she suggested working all day on a Friday, then running all night Friday in to Saturday morning. Rarely, do I dread doing something. In this case, an exception may be in order. 

I am already wonder which will be harder: staying awake or staying moving.

I am not sure of the exact weekend, but it will be sometime within the next two months.

Tails from the trail,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts