Boston Marathon - thoughts



I streamed the Boston Marathon today. Anyone with an interest in running likely had their eyes on this race. My self, the memories of it took me back to my race. Albeit, we had a little better conditions.

What I enjoyed most was watching the 2 different racing strategies playout.

In the women race, they let the leader go either because they thought she was running over her head and would come back to them or because they just felt she was going to run way faster than any of them. I too had my doubts about her strategy. They were saying the temperatures were going to rise, and once a runner’s set their entire book of matches on fire by running so hard, there is no coming back from it. The “hot” early pace did appear to have some effect on the leader, and the 2nd place runner seemed to have a lot left in the tank. She just waited too long to use it. She cut a lot time off during those last 3 miles but she just ran out race. That happens. Like I said, it was interesting to watch and see who had the better plan.

The men’s race seemed to be on the opposite end of the spectrum. No one seem to want to really step up and “own” the race as was evident by the large number of runners hanging around late in the race. Even when it was down to the final mile, 3 runners were still in contention with any of them having an opportunity to win. To see the move for the lead before Boylston Street, I thought that he would wait a little longer before making his move. Once on Boylston Street, there is still a long ways to run to the finish. Watching them both of them push so hard after having run so hard for so long was amazing. He clearly gave it his all in those final few meters. Watching the postrace ceremony, two of Boston’s finest where helping him walk around. I could feel his pain right through my TV.

Next year, tune in to the marathon. Nothing is more motivating than watching those runners stream over the starting and then hours later stream over the finish.

Makes me think about doing Boston again.

The Cool Down Runner
  

Comments

Popular Posts