TrySports as a new Sheriff in town

Last week, the "B2" had a new group ride leader – a woman. Now before you go shooting me down, let me tell the story.

I was leading the "C" group last week, so I wasn't on her ride and didn't even ask how it went.

This week, I decided on joining the "B2" just to check things out.

Definitely things were different.

To level set, I have been riding the TrySports group rides for 2 years now. I don't recall there ever being a woman lead the "A" or "B" groups. Women in the rides, yes, but lead no.

To add some perspective to the story, group rides can somewhat resemble the characteristics of a lawless old Wild West town. Pretty anything goes and the town a.k.a ride is ruled by the fast and strong. Everyone else hangs on for the ride.

TrySports advertises their group rides go at a certain pace. By and large, this is true. At least it is true for most of the ride.

Typically toward the end, everyone gets strung out as the faster/stronger riders continue to push the pace along. Then, there is the few that like to sprint out ahead of the group.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I have done this time to time. Chasing and pushing each other is all part of the improvement process. But these behaviors also disrupt the group ride and make it incredibly hard for people to stay together as the group expands and contracts. I have been on both ends of the situation. Smooth even rides take far less out of me than a surge, recover, and then surge again. Too much of the surge and recovery causes some riders to get dropped along the way.

Anyway, last night she wasn't having any of it. I guess the "Cool Aid" that Justin and Rob gave her was to have a nice steady pace group ride. So when guys went sprinting off, or not holding their line, or would cut in front of her to pull the group along, she "barked" at them. From what I heard, there wasn't anything harsh but she was making her points clear. If I stop and think about it, some of things they were doing can be downright dangerous.

Partly, the "barking" might be about getting respect. Anyone new to a situation has to establish respect and I suspect this is even harder for women than men. Although, I don't know if another guy would have gotten away with it. There might have been some serious "jawing".

In all honesty, she was doing all the right stuff and I have to admit it is probably long overdue.

We all want hard safe ride. Given that she may continue leading this ride, I suspect there were some guys that stop coming out but for every one that leaves, there will be another that finds these rides to their liking and stay.

As for me, I am staying. After running 16 miles in the morning, a steady paced 33 miles on the bike in the evening matches my needs perfectly.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts