Rain and Thunder

I agonized about where to run this morning so much so that I just got up and went out the door. 70 degrees, rain coming down, and thunder roaring in the back ground were what welcomed me as I took my first steps.

There is something to be said for rainy summer time runs. Wearing only running shoes, shorts, and a hat I didn't have much to get wet. But then, I didn't have much to keep me warm. That's where the 70 degrees comes in. The cool temps were chilly but not too cool for running.

The shoes weighed a ton or felt like they weighed a ton from stomping through more puddles than I can count. Funny, the sound my shoes made this morning was pretty much the same as when I was running along with the temperature in the upper 90s – "swish, swish, swish". Ironic isn't it. All water ends up in the bottom of my shoes.

However, just after the 10 miles the clouds broke and the sun popped through to start the drying or should I say the baking process. My shorts dried fairly quickly but my shoe soaking would last well past me finishing my 20 miles. In fact, my shoes are in front of the "frig" right now drying out.

All things considered I would take a day like this over any of those cold freezing rainy runs that Nathan, Jeff, or Mike have put in with me. Those were some miserable days when only three things help me get through them "someone counting on me for the run, and guts and determination".


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner


 

Comments

Popular Posts