McMullen Creek Greenway Tempo Run Rewind

All week long emails have been circling about a temp run at McMullen Creek greenway. This morning arrived and about 15 people showed to up run.

You know something special is happening when this many people come out just to run.

We started off with an easy 2 miles warm up and followed it with 8 miles at tempo pace followed that by running 2 miles easy for a warm down.

The warm up miles were just an easy out to the mile mark and back to the parking area at McMullen. The cool down miles were the same – just an easy 2 miles.

The tempo run went out to the 4 mile mark and returned back to the start. We were a little fast on the early splits 6ish for the first mile. But we reined in the pace for a next couple of miles and pretty much hit the right on target between 6:10 and 6:20 miles at the turn around.

I took my turn at the front and towed the pace along for the next two miles. Then at 6 miles, it was turn it loose time. Some people picked up the pace and pushed it through the finish.

For myself, I was just interested in maintaining my pace and finish feeling strong and smooth. It helped that Megan and Steve Spada were running just about the same pace. We encouraged each other all the way to the finish.

We averaged 6:12 per mile. My max heart rate was 189 and average heart rate was 168. During the last couple of miles, my heart rate was running around 172.

Considering that I have done nothing in the way of speed efforts, I was extremely pleased with my effort today.

As we ramp up to the OBX marathon, I hope I can make this work out a regularly occurrence.

-btw thanks to Chris, Glen, Ben, Megan, Mike, Steve, Jay and others helping me get through the tempo run.

And thanks to all the people that gave us a little extra room as we ran on the greenway.


 

Comments

Anonymous said…
That was awesome! And it was tough...thanks for your help Bill...hopefully I will be able to come out again. I enjoyed it...Stephen
Aaron Linz said…
dug the recap! I was in a car driving back from the beach. I look forward to catching one of these tempos this fall.

Popular Posts