Laws enacted for Cycling

I am sorry; I am not trying to turn this into a cycling blog but sometimes there are just cycling topics that are worth posting a blog.

Since I was traveling this week, I regularly get the USA-Today paper by my hotel door in the morning. Skimming through the paper, I came across an article about laws being enacted for cyclist. Most of these laws were pretty straight forward like "giving a cyclist 3ft of room while passing". I understand it and makes sense even thou, I have had people pass me much closer than 3 ft. While I was not happy about it, I survived.

But this was not the law that puzzled me the most. No, the law that most puzzle me makes it illegal to throw something at a cyclist. Now, let's take just a second and think about this statement. It is illegal to throw something at a cyclist. Doesn't common sense tell you in the first place that this probably isn't a good idea?

I mean, one person is probably going down the road at 20, 30, or more miles per hour and then throws an object at another person. How much common sense does it take to know that this something should not be done? I guess more than I am giving people credit for.

And even if a state doesn't have a law, isn't throwing an object at someone in this situation enough to get you arrested. In my mind, this is an attempt one's life and should be treated as such.

So I give my apologies to everyone for jumping on my high horse about this topic.

Comments

CL said…
Bill, Some people are idiots and if there is no said law for such a stupid action then people would continue to do so.

Cody was hit with a 2 liter bottle half full one time while riding. What an experience it is to be in shape and bettering yourself and those around you while other people hate you for it and focus their aggression at you, the unknown cyclist or runner.

Popular Posts