Carolina Cycling Time Trail @ Lowes Motor Speedway 8/5/2009

Yesterday evening, I traveled to Lowes Motor Speedway for my 2nd Carolina Cycling Time Trial. I was hoping to break my previous PR and get a chance to use my new aero bars.

Things don’t always work out as you plan.



I arrived early and was able to get on the track for some practice with the aero bars. But then a summer storm rolled in a delayed everything for about an hour. Carolina Cycling officials scrapped the regular starting order and just brought everyone to the line by the color.

The rain was still falling when I started and the track was soaked with puddles everywhere. This kept me from testing my aero bars in competition. I just didn’t felt comfortable using them on the wet track.

When I hit 5 miles in 14:45, I knew I wasn’t going to PR this night. Starting cold, the first 5 miles were my attempt at a 2nd warm up. My 2nd 5 miles were better and I hit the 10 mile mark in 28:40. I was a little disappointed in not breaking my PR but given the conditions I had did my best and was at least happy with the effort.

Carolina Cycling has 2 more time trials: one later this month and then one the last of September. This gives me potentially 2 more chances to break my 28:08 time.

For those you that might be interested, Cody got lucky. The track was drying out by the time he went out and I believe he rode faster this time. I didn’t get to see his ride because I was on the inner track riding a cool down ride. Definitely, he was excited about his effort.

Comments

Popular Posts