Ramping up the marathon training.

The new year is upon us and like many of you, I am starting to ramp up for a spring marathon. Starting on the 1st of January, my training went from the off season of just getting a run in to targeting specific workouts for each day.

And as you may have guessed by now, everyone day between now and the 22nd of March a point.

As the plan is laid out, I am doing 2 hard workouts during the week and a long run on the weekend.

The harder sessions are comprised of tempo runs, mile intervals, 1/2 and 1/4 mile intervals, and hill workouts. My Saturday morning are filled with long runs going up to 28 miles.

But I have made some changes over previous seasons. I went to doing some double workouts during the week. Then, Friday through Sunday other than the long run, I only do 10 miles. The idea being, load up with hard work over a few days and then, let the body rest for a few days before repeating the cycle.

I am working my way through the first cycle and it has been rough. I remember why I abandoned double workouts. Doing one run a day can be hard. But then, doubling up with a 2nd run is harder. You have to watch what and when you eat. And there is the extra clothes and showers. I feel like all I do sometimes is run and take showers. Just so you know, I do and it keeps me clean. I also wash running cloths daily. Take my word for it, you shouldn't let them go multiple days.

That is just about it. I wanted to just download how I was doing. Maybe I will make this a weekly or daily thing. It all depends on how much time is available. A problem we all face.

Comments

Popular Posts