Cold ladder workout


Yesterday morning, I headed out for my ladder workout. Even thou, the temperature wasn’t really idea for it. Then, looking at the weather forecast for the rest of the week when was there going to be an ideal day for it.

Bundled up, I pushed away from the curb. The wind immediately cut through my clothes. The extra layers didn’t seem to be helping at all.

Focusing on the workout and pushing the weather conditions aside I kept going.  

Originally, I planned a ladder workout on the track of 200, 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 800, 400, and 200. Switching it to a fartlek ladder was a safer option. So I went with 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 4 minutes, 5, minutes, 6 minutes, 3 minutes, 2 minutes, and 1 minute. This was probably a little tougher workout, but given it was on the road, it would have to do.

After 2.5 mile warm up, I rolled right into my workout. Clicked off the 1, 2, and 3 minutes efforts in a quick secession.  Intervals 4, 5, and 6 seemed to drag on a little longer but my legs started to feel looser and my running rhythm felt better. With the bulk of the workout in the books intervals 3, 2, and 1 felt downright easy. I actually felt myself working up a little sweat from it.

Warm up, workout plus recovery, I needed only about a mile and half warm down which turned out to be a perfect distance back to my house.

If you are struggling through this harsh weather like I am. Look at it from this perspective, a run is better than not running. A cruise interval workout is better than just an average run. Above all else keep your eyes on the prize. No one workout makes you better and no one workout will keep you from reaching you goals.

 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts