4 x 1600 gets your heart turning over

The PDS track was a "buzz" with workouts this morning. Jinnie looked like she was doing 200s. Megan was doing her lane 8 workout. Paul ran some insane number of 300s. And last but not least, Caleb and I were tearing up the track with a 4 x 1600 workout. Well, to be honest, Caleb was tearing up the track. I was just hoping that he didn’t fade completing into the darkness while I chased him around PDS’s track.

In a similar workout last fall, I averaged around 5:36 to 5:38 for 4 x 1600. This morning, I just wasn’t up to the same task. My body spit out a 5:39, 5:38, then a 5:40, and 5:43. This was a workout where I just didn’t feel smooth and relaxed. Each lap, there was this constant feeling that I was tying up. Of course it could have been the wind that we faced each lap down the back stretch. Personally, I think this was one of my "struggle" workouts. From time to time, there is a workout that no matter how hard that I go, I still feel like I am running slower.

Over the many years and hundreds of workouts, I have learned much about not letting one so-so workouts psych me out. Everyone goes through periods where we feel awesome and then there are days that we feel like we are pulling a “tank” along behind us. Today, this was just one of those days for me.

Thinking over the workout, I am just appreciative for those that came out this morning. Having them out there watching made me work harder than I would have worked solo.  For this I am very grateful.  

Now, I am on to another workout next Tuesday. This will be a ladder workout.

 

Running track loops can be fun,

The Cool Down Runner

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts