5 x 6 minutes with 3 minute recovery


The week after a ½ marathon should be a recovery week. Right? Well, may be for my competitors it is. But for me, it is the start of my final training cycle for my marathon next month. I guess this partly explains why I was headed out the door this morning to do my 5 x 6 minutes road workout. I so wanted to do it on a track but with yesterday little snow fall, I figured just stick to the roads. I even overruled the idea of going to the Y for some repeats on the tread mill. I just couldn’t muster the will power to put myself on the tread mill. Give me the open road any day.

After a quick warm up, I launched right in to my first repeat. I was still feeling some residual from Sunday’s race plus the cold weather wasn’t helping. Three minutes of recovery seemed to go by too fast when I am attempting to catch my breath. My second repeat was faster. So were the third and forth repeats. My last repeat was a second or two slower than all of my previous efforts. Overall my entire workout went pretty well.

I thought about postponing it until tomorrow. Another day of rest would be a good thing. However, with the coming snow storm, I figured that I had better do it today. I can always go for an easy run in the snow.

Anyway, hopefully, the weather will clear up by next week. If it does, I will be back at PDS for my Metric Mile workout: 3000, 1500, 800, 2 x 400. This was one my mainstay workouts from last fall. It propelled me to a great marathon time and I hope it does so again.

 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner  

Comments

Popular Posts