Tempo Tuesday III


Tuesday morning arrived, and it was another up-tempo running day for me. I pulled up my training schedule – just to double check the planned workout - an 8 mile tempo run. Normally, I always look forward to my tempo runs. The last few years, they have become my bread and butter for rounding my self into running shape.

I was anxious to get out the door early but a steady drizzle of rain had settled across Charlotte. I thought about postponing it until later, but my schedule was crammed full for the entire day. Waiting until evening was an option, but then, a morning run means that I am done for the rest of the day. A morning run was on – rain or not.

Besides, a little rain should make for better running conditions. Rights?

At one would think so, but sometimes the humidity from the rain makes things worse instead of better.

In just the first few steps my body felt unusually sluggish. By the time my second mile split displayed on my Garmin, I felt like I was running hard but the effort was not showing up in the times  

I could have scrapped the workout. It is "Live to fight another day" type of thing. However, I was already out, and I was already wet so why not just push onward. Honestly, I was glad that I did.

The 3 and 4 miles were 10 and 15 seconds faster than mile 2.

Miles 5 and 6 were another 10 seconds faster than 3 and 4, and then, the final two miles were still another 10 faster than 5 and 6.

I like the fact that I closed well, but I cannot get my hands around why I felt so sluggish.

To me, I felt like it takes me a good 2, 3, or 4 miles just to get going. Once there, I am ready to go, but I just need a good kick start.

Luckily for me, I am planning a marathon this fall. I am going for a 10k warm up and then a 20 mile race for my game plan. LOL.

 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts