Wave 2 minute intervals

For whatever the reason, this fall I seem to be doing more and more of these wave type workouts. Like my alternating miles workout, my wave 2 minute intervals also follow a similar pattern.

So I headed out for my run this morning – looking to do something like 16 quarters which I converted to 2 minute intervals.

After a mile warm up I was off.

I would run 2 minutes hard at about 85% effort, and then I would recover at 70% effort. The point being, I never slowed enough that I would allow myself to totally recover.

The first ¼ of the intervals felt smooth. Then the legs started feeling the pain of the workout when I started hitting the rolling hills on the course. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was doing this workout on the roads.

If I am going race on the roads, I might as well do my training on the roads.

Moving through the 2nd and 3rd quarters, I could feel my leg muscle tightening up. Not to mention, I noticed the traffic creating a headwind for me to overcome.

The last ¼ actually felt pretty good. I don't know if it was because of my conditioning or because I was getting close to the finish. Mentally, I knew the finish was close and could push through the fatigue.

Once I finished, I pulled the results into my Garmin Training Center so I could look at the paces and distances covered.

It was nice to see that I was running 5:30 to 5:45 pace during the hard efforts and 6:40 to 6:50 during the easier sections.

For the workout, I covered my course of 11 miles in 72 minutes – averaging 6:35 pace.


 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner


 

Comments

Popular Posts