Snow Covered Runner

Running in the snow is good for you. This morning, I had a difficult choice. I could have pulled out my tread mill and did 10 flat miles at room temperature. But instead, I opted for something that is good for the soul and the mind. I headed out the door and treaded through 10 miles of wind, snow and ice. Was it unsafe? Yeah, it was a little. Could I have gotten hurt? Yeah, it was a possibility.

However, life is too short to live it in the sidelines. And today's snow provided a great training opportunity. During those last 6 miles of Boston when everyone else's legs are crying for them will stop, my legs will have the strength of this snow run to see them through.

Along the same lines, memories are where you make them. Running on a tread mill creates a memory that will fade over time, but running through the snow creates a memory that will persist for my entire life.


 


 

Thoughts from the Snow Covered Runner

Comments

Mike Kahn said…
"Running on a tread mill creates a memory that will fade over time, but running through the snow creates a memory that will persist for my entire life." >>> Its like you read my mind.. I was about to do a dreadmill workout at the Y and aaron called me up and got me out for this unbelievable snow-covered run thru town. :) Great post! btw.. nice photo collage as well
Stanfords said…
Yes, but how many times must this snow memory be replicated? Once is enough for this old boy.

If Boston is covered in 5 inches of snow come Patriots' Day, then you can have it Bill, you can have it :-)
Coach Spencer said…
Good perspective.

I've been healing up from an injury and told myself I wouldn't run until yesterday. Took everything I had not to go out there and enjoy the snow Monday, but the trails in Fort Mill were still covered today. I was the first one on one of them since the snow.

Popular Posts