RFYL Awards Banquet 11.18.08


After a long year of racing on the Run For Your Life Gran Prix Series, everything finally concluded on Tuesday night with the Annual GP awards Banquet. The event started around 6 pm and the awards were given out around 7:30.

Complements need to go out to both Run For Your Life and Brix Restaurant for pulling all of this together. Invites came out a few weeks ago and there were a huge attendance this year.

I always find these non running events interesting. Usually the only time that I see most of these people is on Saturday morning at the races. They are almost always dressed in their running clothes. So when I attend events like this, I sometimes don’t recognize them. Even thou, I know them well. They just look so different in their street cloths.

As for the banquet, Brix provided several different types of pasta and pizza buffet style. It was difficult making a selection because there were simply too many options. However, for the ones I did try they were very good.

After everyone had a chance to enjoy their food and talk with their follow runners, Tim started the awards ceremony.

First, they had drawings for door prizes. I won a Respect bag, shirt, and bottle of Respect.

Next, they gave out awards for everyone running all 9 races. Being a gluten for punishment I was one of these individuals. The award was a nice one shoulder Run For Your Life Sling Bag. We had the option of picking either Blue or Red. I chose Red as it was closer to my favorite color.

After that they went through the awards starting with the Overall Male and Female. Then they moved to the masters and age groups. With a lot of the runners, Tim had some interesting story to tell about them. I just happened to be one of those runners. Hummm, I never thought that I was that interesting.

I guess I need to give a shout out to myself here. I was lucking enough that I finished 4th overall in the series. Bob M. was the overall male. Paul M. and Robert M. were the 2nd and 3rd place runners. While I came in 4th and Greg I. came in 5th place. Interestingly, Paul, Robert, and I were only seperated by a few points. Actually, Robert and I were only seperated by 1 point. When I saw Robert, I laughed and told him next year that I was going to make up that one point.

This was my best finish ever in the GP series. I had finished 5th and 7th a few years ago. I don’t run all of the races every year, but when I do, I have been fortunate to run well in the series.

When the awards ceremony concluded, everyone made their circles to say good bye. Some runners were heading off to continue training and racing either for a Turkey or Santa Run or possibly an end of season marathon. While others like my self are resting after a long year of racing.
Happy Holidays to everyone

Comments

Popular Posts