17 Hours left until OBX

All of the work is finally done and there is nothing to do now but rest.

The last 24 hours has been pretty a blur.

Chris and I hit the expo last night and picked up our race packets. Then, walking around the expo we saw a large group of venders and some really good stuff on sale. I am a big a collector of hats so when I saw the OBX marathon hats, I had to have one. Before you ask, it was $20.00.

After the expo Chris and I stopped by a pizza and pasta place. The pasta was good not great, but good.

We capped the evening off by heading over the sponsor and athletes meet and great dinner. This was helded at the Pengiun Isle Grille and Bar. The food provided was buffet style. I highly recommend the roast beef and ham biscuits. I thought they were great.

Then it was back to the house. Several more runners showed up. We shared the house with a husband and wife from NY. A father and son from PA. Bob Marchinko and his family arrived pretty late. I was up until almost midnight talking running. Talk about being in a running meca, it was great.

This morning most of the older people were up early while the younger people were sleeping late.

This morning, it was time to review starting area of the course. I had did the last 3 miles of the course which is virtually flat yesterday afternoon. There might be some head or cross wind blowing in those last few miles. We have to see. The first 2 miles of the marathon course are slightly up hill. Driving over the 3 through 7 it appears to flatten out. As I was driving along, I noticed several sections where flags were blowing into direction that the runners will be going to tomorrow. I hope the wind reverses in the morning.

Once I had finished reviewing the 1st half of the course, I made a couple of more stops. I picked up some gifts for my daughters. I could not return home without bringing them something. Driving a little further down the road, I found the same pasta place from last night. I figured it was my last chance to tank up.

My plans for the rest of the afternoon are lay on the couch and watch Nascar and UNC football.

Before I go, let me add my accessment of the course. My gut feel is that the you are going to lose some time in the first 3 miles and through the gravel and trail sections. What I am not sure is how much I can make up in the rest of the course. I guess we will find out tomorrow morning.

My goals are 10 mile 60 minutes and 20 miles in 60 minutes. I spend the last 10k digging deep trying to break 2:40.

Wish me luck. I will update by blog and log book sometime late Sunday night. I have to be back in Charlotte to work Monday. It is a 6 hour drive back.

Comments

Popular Posts