Yeti 100 Lottery

 Toward the end of 2020, I was thinking about what I might like to run in 2021. There are few things that I have always wanted to do like run 100k and run a point to point ultra course. Running 100 miles was not really on my radar. 

But having signed up for the Yeti 50 miler in June, I was well aware of their 100 mile race later in the year. However, I just wasn't sure if I really wanted to do another 100 mile. After all, I am a few more years older now, and the memories of a long and tiring day were not that far removed. 

Yet, the idea wouldn't go away. 

As I reading about their race, I saw that unlike the 50 miler, they were going to have a lottery for their 100 race. That's when the thought occurred to me. I would let "lady luck" decide for me. If she favored my chances, I would get in to the race. If she didn't, then it wasn't to be. 

I registered for their lottery. The lottery opened at 9 AM and closed 5 PM. They didn't say how their lottery worked but I guess that I was expecting some type of response shortly after 5 PM. Well, 5:30 came and went so did 6 and 7 PM. At this point, I pretty much thought that I didn't get selected. That's okay. Win some lose some. That's how life works. Right. 

I went off to do some other stuff. I think that it was little after 8 PM when my phone dinged that recived a message. I looked at the message, and it was a notification from my bank that I had made a purchase. This was strange as I hadn't been away from the house that day. I opened the message and looked at the amount. At first, I was puzzled, and then, I realized that it was the Yeti entry fee. I flipped over to my email, and sure enough, I had an Ultrasignup email confirming my registration. 

I was like "wow, I got in". Then, I was "oh, wow, now I have to run a 100 mile race this year". It was kind of like getting a bucket cold water over the head. It isn't real until it happens. Then, it is like what did I just do. 

Depending on your point of view either "lady luck is on my side" or "this is her way of punishing me". Possibly, it could be a little bit of both. 

But either way, now, I am kind of excited to see what I can do. This time, I have a little more experience under my belt. I can hopefully build upon it and have a good race. 

So buy a lottery ticket. You never know when it is time for your number to come up.

Cool Down Runner Adventures. 

 


Comments

Popular Posts