Back at the Y

 Nearly 10 months have past since I last flashed my YMCA card, and I passed through their turnstiles. Honestly, I have become quite happy with my workout routine at home, and I have been even considering canceling my membership. Yet, I really enjoy using the Y. They offer so many options that I can never have access to at home. That's another story to save for later. 

Walking through their doors and aside from everyone wearing mask, I only saw a couple of noticeable changes. First, upon entering, I was quizzed for Covid symptoms. Having passed this test, I had  a temperature check performed. Again, I passed the second test so I was allowed to flash my Y card and enter the facility. 

Once I was in side,  I went straight into the workout area. I did not try the pool, basketball courts, or locker rooms. Based on my understanding of the Y's Covid polices, the locker are closed for use, and the pool and basketball courts are by reservation only. 

The workout area was pretty much open. A few areas where people would be side by side, a machine was marked as being off limits for use so as to keep everyone a safe 6 ft distance. While I was there, I did not observe any of the Y staff wiping down machines, but for the most part, people were wiping the machines before and after using it. I cannot speak to how well others wiped their machines down, but for me, I used extra paper towels and extra cleaner. I made sure to wipe down all parts of the machine that I touched. I wanted to leave the impression that I left the machine cleaner than I found it. 

They also had multiple hand sanitizer stations. I found one of them empty but the other had hand sanitizer. 

Oh, and to be clear here, I wore my mask the entire time. I did find it harder to keep the mask in place while working out. I found myself constantly having to push it up.

Will I go back, likely I will, but I will limit my trips until we get a few more vaccines in peoples arms. Getting back to normal is going to take a while.


Cool Down Runner Adventures




Comments

Popular Posts