Running with a dog

I was finishing up my run today and walking back to my car. A woman passed by me running with her dog. I see people running with their dogs quite often. Especially, I see a lot of women running with them. 

What caught my attention today was this. 

I was walking along lost in thought when I heard what sounded like someone whizzing coming up behind me. This pulled me back in to the moment and caused me to look over my shoulder. Here came a woman along with two her two friends. My eyes instinctively went from looking at them to the dog that was accompanying them. In this case, she had a waist leash from her to the dog. The dog was whizzing like crazy while straining with all its might to tow her along. And no, she didn't have the leash attached to the dog's collar. She actually had it attached to one of those dog body harnesses. Apparently, the whizzing was part of the dog's normal behavior. 

I watched as they ran past me. A smile came on to my face as a thought crossed my mind. Maybe I should get a dog. It would be someone to accompany me on my long runs. As extra benefit, I really liked idea of being towed along. This would be especially helpful when I got tired. 

As I rubbed my beard and thought more about it, I realized that this probably wasn't such a good idea. By the time that I got tired at 25 or more miles, my "would be" dog would be equally just as tired as I would be. He would be less likely to want to be towing me along. In fact, he would probably want me to carry him. Then, I would tired and have an additional 50 to 75 pounds to carry. 

Still the idea has merit. Maybe just for shorter runs. I will have to give it much more thought. 

What did you see on your run today? 

Cool Down Runner Adventures 

Comments

Popular Posts