WWC New Years Day Trail Race

I started '20 by running in to the new year at the WWC's midnight trail race, and I finished '20 in nearly the same fashion but just a little different. 

After the Governor's order creating a 10 PM curfew, the WWC guys split their late night race in to a race evening and race morning set of races. Honestly, I kind of like it better this way. This is a throw back to their Tread Nightly/Tread Brightly races but just as a 5k set of events. 

Between the couple of hundred runners chewing up the trail and the rain having fell overnight, the trails were a bit muddier than I left them the prior evening. I went for full on traction in this race by using my Hoka Speed Goats. 

The drizzle that had been falling leading up to the race seemed to have stopped. As soon as they opened the course, I was off and running. The numerous runners from the night before had left multiple foot prints while having to navigate the mud and water. At least now that it was day light, I had a better sense of where the high ground was. Leaving the security of the trees and crossing under the power lines while only briefly, I opened myself to the elements. Rain pelted down upon my face and the wind pushed against me adding yet another obstacle that I needed to overcome.

My Speed Goats clawed at the ground while attempting to keep me up right. Sometimes, I thought that they hung on to the mud a little longer than I liked. They felt heavy a few times. 

I exited the South Main trail and headed across the parking lot to the North Main trail. It was slick and muddy last night, and this morning, it was a now a 10 on the slick and muddy scale. I sailed off in this downhill section by leaning in to the downhill. I didn't like that I slowed down in this section last night so this morning, I was determined to do something different. What's the worse that could happen? I come out the other side covered in mud. I surprised myself when I came out without falling. However, I think my heart was racing even faster just from the adrenalin rush.   

I crossed the finish line in 22:34 so I was about 40 seconds faster in likely I would consider worse conditions. Having a daylight and path to follow certainly helped. I must give a shout out to the numerous runners that went slipping and sliding to give me a clear sign of the best path forward. 

Let's give an even bigger shout out to the WWC for taking the hand that they were dealt and giving us runners multiple opportunities to race. I cannot say enough for how they have brought back safe running for us runners. Kudos to them. 

'21 is going to off more opportunities. Make sure to take advantage of them. 

Cool Down Runner Adventures


Comments

Popular Posts