Nagging injuries

Ever think that an injury will just not go away. This is exactly where I am right now. My hamstring was on the mend but somehow over the last 4 weeks it has reared its ugly head again.

The first of the month my running was good. My only complaint was this nagging Charlie horse feeling in my left quad. The only way to describe it would be to say it felt like a huge bruise. After a 5 or 6 miles it became painful similar to the way cramp would feel.

From all indications, my quad seemed overly tight so I went about loosening it up.  In process I got more in the bargain than I needed or wanted. My quad loosened up but immediately my hamstring began complaining again. This shouldn’t be any surprise to me.  Our bodies are all counter balanced with one muscle relaxing while another muscle is contracting. It is all a circle of life analogy.

The harder runs make it hurt more.  Each run starts with the feeling of my hamstring held in a tight grip. Then, it shifts up into the glut after a few miles. Around five or six miles, my quad starts to get in on the act.  Beyond 6 miles the pain floats between the quad, the hamstring, and the glut. Never once do all hurt at the same time.

Strangely, once I am finished with my run, the pain is gone. I am not bothered by it walking, laying down, or sitting.

 The pain isn’t debilitating, but it does hold me back. I feel similar to finishing a 20 mile run. My breathing is fine. I, however, don’t have the will push any harder. In the back of my mind, if I push harder, I could end up hurting it more.

I know in time it will heal. However, being patience has never been my strong suite.  

 

Stay healthy my friends,,

The Cool Down Runner    

Comments

Popular Posts