Intervals


For the better part of the last 4 years, I have done very little in the way of short intervals. When I say short intervals, I am talking about intervals under a mile. Because I have focused on longer races, I tend to start my intervals at a mile in length. Usually, I will do a set of 3 times 2 miles.

But with my renewed interest in improving my leg turn over, I have opted to get back to doing some 200s, 400, 800s, and maybe in even some 1000s. This is all in an attempt to breathe some leg turnover back into my old and tired legs.

The past two Wednesday mornings, I have been hitting the 400s. First, I ran 10 x 400 last week. Then, this week, I went 12 x 400s.

Last week’s workout was a solo effort. This week, Philip and Mike joined me. I have to say having them along made a big difference.

They kept me pushing when I might have otherwise just settled for just finishing.

My intervals last week went along in the 1:20 range. This week while chasing Mike and Philip, I was more in the 1:19 range and finished with a 1:18.

I feel good about where I am going. If I can clip off a couple of more seconds over the coming weeks and be able to run 75s to 76s. There is a good chance that I can lower my mile PB from the last two years which is 5:12.

Next week, I am thinking maybe 12 x 400 again before branching off and running a few ladder workouts. I will keep you posted on my progress.

 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner  

Comments

Popular Posts