250,000+ miles

Running is fun to me. The miles accumulated from my running are just a byproduct of my passion for running.

Recently, I received an email about Dr. Herb Fred of Houston, Texas. I have never met Dr. Fred, but I feel like we might be kindred spirits where running is concerned.

On April 29th, 2014, Dr. Fred surpassed the 250,000 mark for miles run. Yes, he has run 250k in miles. Just imagine how many running shoes that he has used over the years. The total has to be in the 1000s.

To reach the 250k plateau he has been running for 48 years and 25 days. Yes, this is an average 14.25 miles per day. To put his accomplishment into perspective, last year I averaged about 11 miles per day for just one year. He has been putting 3 more miles day after day, month after month, year after year for years.

Maybe a better comparison than my own running totals is to compare it to Megan’s mileage. Megan has over the last few years put in about 5000+ miles. When compared to Dr. Fred, Megan would still be anywhere from 1000 to 2500 miles behind him. Dr. Fred regularly ran yearly mileage totals in the 6000 and 7000 range.

I am truly awed by his accomplishment. Congrats Dr. Fred on your 250k. May you have many more years of running ahead.     

Here’s a link to article about Dr Fred in Jan. of ’11.

 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts