Active Recovery

With my marathon in the rear view mirror, my recovery now takes center stage. Thus far this week, I have run a very easy 7 miles each day and on Wednesday evening took a spin class.

Monday, my legs felt okay, but Tuesday, the Delayed On-set Muscle Soreness (DOMS) arrived in a big way. Yesterday, my legs felt better. The DOMS was starting to subside, but they still felt heavy and sluggish.

They will feel this way for the better part of two weeks. Then, slowly they will return to normal. Usually after two months I start to feel “normal” again.

I remember after my first marathon, I went right back to hard training. This quickly resulted in me being quickly injured. This was a lesson that I learned and promised never to repeat. Now each post marathon week gets just easy runs. If I do anything up tempo, it is in a non impact activity like cycling or swimming.

To date, it continues to work for me.

 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts