400 meter speed session


A few years ago when housing developments were springing up like dandy lions around Charlotte, they were building a brand new one near my home. They put in some nice roads and sidewalks. They even added street lights. However, the economy took a nose dive, and this development was left as basically a paved loop.

I have run by it numerous times and often wondered if it would work for as a nice speed loop for me. With a little 12 x 400 workout slotted for last Friday, I figured I would finally check it out.

After a 3 mile warm up, I headed into this (un)development and picked my starting corner. I would be using my Garmin to check the distance so it would be an approximation. My plan was run a quarter and then take a 10th recovery.

I ran ¾ of the loop which turned out to be a quarter mile, and then got my 10th back to the same starting point. Wow!!

I am not sure how they knew it but they built the perfect loop for my training purposes. There is zero traffic and has a built-in recovery distance.

I have only one “knock” against it. The loop is not completely flat. The back side has a small raise running from one corner to the next. This means, I run the first side and the third sides slightly downhill.

I will take it.

As for my workout, I was sluggish for the first couple of intervals but quickly worked my way down to running 79s by the finish.

Glad to have this one in the books.

 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts