24 miler with a not so fast finish.


Ask any marathoner if he or she is going to do another one the moment they just finish, and probably 90% of the answers would be a resounding “no”.



While the pain and suffer are fresh in the mind, repeating the effort seems out of the question. Give it a few months and the pain subsides. The memories of the stress fade. The desire returns.

Much the same can be said of my training right now. Funny how easily I forget the tired and sore legs that come with all of the marathon mileage.

This was never truer than on this past Saturday afternoon. I was looking to do my 24 miler with a fast finish workout so the idea of running 19 to 20 miles and then running a 5k sounded perfect. I guess in theory it does sound perfect. In reality, it was not.

A combination of the temperature being in the upper 80s with plenty of humidity, and a loose dirt and grass circuit left me setting behind my CRV drinking water as fast as I could.

I started my running around 2:30 PM and had a little over 19+ miles by the time of the 5k race. The first 10 to 15 miles did not feel that bad. I had already drunk over 40 oz of a Nuun/H20 combination and was taking my cliff blocks.

But the miles were starting to add up.  At 19, I was not feeling the greatest. In fact, I felt pretty much dead on my feet.

The horn sounded, and I had to “will” my “feet” to move.

About a mile into the course, we turned on the grassy section and I had nothing. Even going downhill I was not making any headway.

Back to the trail and then back on the grass again, I was moving forward but mainly it was on “autopilot”.

The course finished with a 200 to 250 meter uphill stretch. It could have been 2 feet for all that I know. My head was hung forward. I was staring at the ground.  Several guys went sprinting by me. I only momentarily paused at the finish line before heading off to find some more water. I soaked down another 3 bottles which did little to help me.

I finished off my run with a “slow” 2 miles and as I said, I just sat behind my CRV.

I did it to myself.

In my opinion the more miserable the training, the better the mind is able to handle the stress of race day. In my case, I feel like I have stressed my mind enough for one training cycle.

I am sharing this post because we all go through tough marathon training cycles. Knowing good days and bad days happen to everyone make life a little easier to bear.

Remember what goes up must come down, but what goes down must come up as well.

 

 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts