Thinking ahead

Before one acts upon something, one should put some thought into preparing for the "act". That is what I have been doing. Putting together some of the ideas for workouts that I want to use in my training plan for a fall marathon.

A couple of years ago, Mike and I did these fast finishes to long run as part of our preparation.

What is a fast finish?

We selected 3 weekends leading up before our fall marathon and did a long run where we cranked down on the miles over the last half of the run.

What we would do was run a 10 mile warm up. Then, we would regroup and run the remainder of the effort as tempo. The first weekend, we ran an 8 mile tempo. The 2nd weekend, we ran 10 miles, and on the final weekend, we ran a 12. I remember Mike leaving me in the dust for 2 of the 3 runs. But on race day, those ugly hard runs paid off. I felt really strong longer in the marathon than any of my previous marathons.

Not quite sure how I am going to work those into the schedule but I am definitely bringing them back.


 

Sharing one thought at time,


 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts