June Bug 5k

Friday, I was so on the fence about racing this weekend that I was ready to table it when the dark clouds appeared on the Charlotte horizon. But having put down my money to run China Grove 5k next Friday night, I felt that I needed to clean the dust out of the tail pipe to use an old expression. The time between races spans about 6 weeks of easy running. For a runner, this isn't much time, but watching all my friends race week after week and turn awesome times, deep down inside, I was aching to feel what it was like.

This sent me driving east of Charlotte over near Harrisburg to Frank Lisk Park.

Having run there multiple times in the past, I knew where it was and what the course was like. So I didn't have to worry too much about surprises.

Arriving early, I got in, got registered, got my number and shirt. Then, I settled down to change clothes and head out for some warm up miles.

Knowing the race course can be both a blessing and a curse. On the blessing side, I knew ever twist and turn so there was no chance to get lost. But on the curse side, I knew the course would be wet and the footing would be terrible.

After the warm up, I passed the time by doing hard/easy strides in the parking lot. 6:45 was the start time but it couldn't get here fast enough.

With some final pre race instructions, we were finally ready to start.

As is tradition with me, I look around to see who else is racing. Then, I estimate where I might finish. After that, I try to improve on upon that position.

The June Bug 5k has the first quarter mile downhill on pavement before it hits the dirt. Every time that I have run this course people go blasting out. And, I do mean blasting. Typically, by the time we hit the dirt, I am forty to fifty yards behind.

But when we turn on the dirt, the course goes up hill. This is where the real racing begins.

I am probably 6th place at the time.

I recognize that one of the guys ahead of me was a master's runner so I definitely needed to try and reel him back to me.

We top the hill and I watch while these guys swap the lead back and forth as I close in on them.

By the time we hit the mile mark, I am with them.

I don't really so down. I just wait on them to come back to me because they have gone out so fast.

We head down the hill and by the lake. I have opened a small gap. I know this because I sneaked a peek while making one of the turns. The last mile of the course run pretty much the uphill section of the first mile and back to the finish line.

Knowing this is the case, I focus on settling down and getting my breathing under control. The pace slows a bit but then we are running up the final hill and I know I can handle it or at least I hope I can handle it.

We make a left turn and then right turn. Each time, I am peeking to gauge the distance of 2nd place. On the last turn, my eyes pick up a green shirt. Mentally, my brain thinks "this is way too close for comfort" and suggest to my legs that they open it up a bit more. My legs on the other hand are not feeling they have that much punch left in them.

However, hitting the asphalt makes my legs feel better and I push on to the finish line.

I record a time of 18:06 which was about 6 seconds faster than last year.

I have to give the Park & Rec some kudos. They put on this race every year and each time, they did an exceptional job.

Oh, I don't want to forget. They gave out some unusual wood awards. I have included a picture of it here.


Now, I can rest recover and head into next Friday night at China Grove. This should be an awesome event and I will need to bring my "A" game if I even want to sniff the faster runners.


 

Sharing one thought a time,

The Cool Down Runner


 


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts