Getting your head in the game

Saturday afternoon, I was reading an article about going from the marathon to the 5k and running a PR. In the article they talked about the transition in training but they also talked about the mental aspect of running a 5k instead of a marathon.

Running a marathon, I have stay well within my aerobic threshold. Otherwise, I am going to be either slowing down at the end or most likely walking before the end of the marathon. Mentally, I know what this feel like and the pain coming with it. Mentally, I understand and like the feeling of going out easy and pushing harder half way through the race.

To use a NASCAR expression, I have to be up on the wheel right from the start in a 5k. There is not laying back. Mentally, 5k means more stress and more pain starting from the beginning. There is very little time to get the body rolling or the race will be over before maximum effort is achieved.

Friday night I found myself struggling to get into high gear and I realize why. My running diet has consisted of a steady consumption of long easy miles. These are low stress and low pain points workouts which don't callus the mind to the much harder efforts required from a 5k. Sometime, I wonder if intervals actually help prepare the mind more than the body for running harder. I know it does help the body but the mind is also going through the same conditioning process.

Thus, I am left with the knowledge that my brain needs retraining to handle shorter and harder races. Maybe I will get my legs and brain on the same page before the end of the summer.


 

Sharing one thought at a time,


 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts