When are you going to race again?

When are you going to race again? This seems to be the question that I get more and more lately. Has it been that long since I last raced? Honestly, I never realized that my smiling face was being so sorely missed at the area races. But this seems to be the question everyone is asking me recently.

At first, my response was to the direct question but then I began to wonder if there another reason behind their question. Was there a question behind the question?

Somehow, I suspect I am not the only one that has pondered this topic.

There's overt question which is when my next race is. This I will answer shortly – see below. But the real underlying question is why I have not been racing which I suspect might really being what the person is asking me. Hopefully below, my explanation will be clearer in writing than it is in thought.

Where am I looking to race next? There are a number of races coming up: China Groove 5k, Mooresville Miles, June Bug 5k, and the Belmont 5k. I like all of them but I have not signed up for any of them. If I do run them, most likely it will be at last minute decision.

The one race that I definitely plan to run is "Beat the Heat 5k" in Winston-Salem. I ran it a couple of years ago and it was unbearably hot and humid. But what else should I expect for a summer July night race. Next up, I will venture over to Albemarle, NC for the Tour de Elvis 5k. This is another evening race but Peter puts on such a great event that I hate to miss it.

From there, I plan to run the Charleston Distance Run. That's 15 miles. Quite possibly, I will do the New River 50k as a lead up to the OBX marathon. I am not really sure at this point.

After OBX, I will most likely wrap things up for the year. Take some down time and then start fresh for '13. For me, this isn't a lot racing compared with previous years.

So what's the real reason for not racing? I don't really know. I did a couple of 5ks in March. Then, there was the Palmetto Relay and the Tar Heel 10 miler. I didn't run great in any of these races but then, I didn't run poorly either. I hadn't signed up for anything after the Tar Heel 10 miler and suddenly found myself home on Saturday mornings. Actually, I found that I enjoyed just getting up, knocking down a 10 mile run and then working around my house the rest of the day. Again, I cannot explain why? Other than, it just felt good to hang around home on a Saturday morning.

Is this a good reason for not racing? Maybe it is and then again, maybe it is not.

I will be back soon. I promise.


 

Sharing one thought at time,


 

The Cool Down Runner


 

 

Comments

Popular Posts