Ballantyne 5k

After several weeks off from the Charlotte racing scene, I made an appearance this weekend at the Ballantyne 5k and ran a pulse pounding and heart stopping 32 minutes. This put me 447 overall. You know I am joking – right?

However, this was one of the most enjoyable 5k that I have ever run. Why, you might ask?

Well, this was the first time any of my daughters have tried to run a 5k.

Let's go back a bit and I will explain.

A couple of months ago, my youngest daughter who is 9 years old said that she wanted to do the running program at her school. I tried to hold back my enthusiasm at hearing her news. You don't know how long I have waited to have the sound of those words enter my ear and be recognized by my brain.

To this point, my daughters have never been much into running. I will take them down to the Summer Track when they are interested and we will run the relay races. They have done a couple of fun runs through the years, but never have they seemed interested in running.

And to be fair, I have never pushed them to run. I have seen more than one parent or parents who run and they push their kids to run as well.

Running is something I do because I enjoy the mental and physical aspects that come from the activity. But it is something that I want to do and not something that I am told to do. There is a difference. Not everyone realizes this to be true.

So when my daughter told me that she wanted to run through this group at her school, the butterflies fluttered big time in my stomach. The butterflies went up another level she told me they would finish their program by running a 5k race. I knew I would have to there if nothing else to watch her run. Then a couple weeks ago, the question came.

She asked if I would run with her. The feeling was better than winning the lottery.

Saturday morning came the two of us are hanging out in the common area near the starting line. We had our numbers and chips in place.

They play the national anthem and we head for 10 minute pace group. I get some gentle "ribbing" from some friends who know me - asking where I was going. The starting line was the other way. What can I say? Some things are more important.

The gun sounds. For a brief period no one moves. Then slowly we start walking. Actually, we have to walk until we reach the starting line. By now, nearly 2 ½ minutes have passed according the finish line clock.

We run about ¾ of mile before she takes the first what would be 3 walk breaks during the race. We hit the first mile in 10 minutes. We endure some twist and turns, some up hills and down. She joins up with one of her friends. She grabs a cup of water at the first water stop. We reach the loop for the turn around. She takes her 2nd walk break. This is where it occurs to me. My daughter has adopted the opposite strategy of most people. She is walking on the downhills and running on the uphill. Go figure.

We reach the 2nd water stop and she needs another cup. We make a few more turns and are climbing up the hill and across the bridge over Johnston Rd.

From here, the finish line is nearly in sight. I encourage her to run a little faster. We round the final corner and see the finish line.

She starts sprinting and I try to keep pace with her.

We cross the finish line in 32 minutes. The chips say we were one second apart, but I am calling it a tie.

At 9 years old and running maybe 4 or 5 miles per week, 32 minutes is an awesome time for her.

But maybe the best part was being able to share this moment with her. She may never realize but it left me with a memory that I will treasure forever.

Then, she runs off to play the violin in recital later that morning. Such is the life of a busy 9 year old.


 


 

Sharing one thought at time,


 

The Cool Down Runner


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts