Injinji Performance Socks

A few weeks ago while at REI I purchased my first pair ever of toe socks. Yes, I did say ever. My toes are very accustom to hanging out with each other. After all, they have been doing it for 47 years.

But sometimes changing things up can be a good thing.

The major player in the toe sock arena is Injinji. REI carries several models of the Injinji socks and I selected the Injinji Midweight Mini Crew Toesocks for my product testing. The cost was $16.00 for a single pair. According to the Injinji marketing information, their socks provide a restriction free movement and eliminate skin on skin friction that causes blisters.

I have had my fair share of blisters lately so I am always on the lookout when it comes to socks.

From a wear perspective, my test was broken into 4 different types.

  • A wear around test at home
  • A recovery run
  • A speed session
  • A long run

The wear around test at home left my toes with a strange feeling. They could no longer cozy up to the toe next to it. But after probably 20 minutes, the strangeness passes. And other than the toes, socks are socks. They felt pretty much the same.

Next up, I did a 7 mile recovery run. Not knowing what to expect, I spent longer than usual making sure they were put on properly. For about a mile or so, I could feel what I thought was a line of material running across the bottom of my foot. Thinking that it could be something that developed once I started running; I stopped and check the sock. Nothing was apparent. I put my shoe back on and finished the run. After a few miles the sensation of the material went way.

The speed session consisted of 10 x 600. This time there was no sensation of material on bottom of my feet and no issues with the socks.

My real concern was when it came to a long run. Long runs more than any other type of running can expose issues. Again, there were no issues and no blisters. Although, for long runs I might decide the next time to go with a little heavy version of the sock. After 16 miles, my feet like they are pretty much running on the road.

Overall, there were two things that come to mind about the socks.

First, when I turned the socks inside out, they have a ton of extra strings. Seems to me they could make this a little cleaner.

Second, getting your toes into the toelets (is toelets a real word. Maybe it is now) isn't easy. There is definitely some extra effort getting each toe placed in the proper hole.

In reading a few other reviews, other people talked about the toe holes not fitting properly if your toes don't go all the way to the end of the toe hole. Fortunately, for me I didn't have this issue. But I could easily see this being an issue for some people.

Injinji socks that I bought were made of 70% Cool Max, 25% Nylon, and 5% Lyrca. With this material, they should not have a problem keeping my feet dry. Now of the days that I wore these socks were not extremely hot, but potentially this could be another test.


 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner


 

Comments

Popular Posts