Sore Quads

Going back a few months, in days after OBX, I felt like it was time to get back in the weight room. For the better part of year or more, my weight routine consisted lots of core work, push up, set ups, some dumb work and using bands.

None of this work really did anything for my legs.

Why nothing for the legs? Well, there are two main reasons.

The first reason is because running and/or cycling put enough load on my leg muscles so doing the extra leg work on an already tired muscles just didn't make too much sense to me. The second reason is just about every time that I started doing leg work in the weight room, I got injured. Quite possibly this is why I believe so strongly in the first reason.

In the months between OBX and Disney, I wasn't running anything hard or high mileage, so I thought I would give my legs some weight work.

This is when the soreness started to appear in the quads. Putting just about any weight on the machine left my quads begging for relief. Running wasn't any easier.

At first, I thought the soreness was due to me not lifting in a while. I kept at it though Disney with pretty much no relief.

After Disney, I missed some days working out and my quads didn't seem to be so sore. Although separating out marathon recovery soreness and walking around Disney soreness can be difficult. Then, I jumped back on it and the soreness returned.

That's when I decided to skip the quad press for a few more days. Again the soreness abated.

Now, when I go to the weight room, the other muscles get a good workout including the dreaded hamstrings which get an extra workout, but the quad get the time off.

As much as I hate to admit it, running loads of miles had beaten me up pretty good.


 

Sharing one thought at time,


 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts