4 mi. Tempo, 5 x 800, and 1 x 400 – just a day’s work for your average runner.

This morning my training plan had me running a tempo run plus. So I darted across Charlotte to McAlpine to pickup Ultra Running Legend Jamaar and new minted ultra runner and sometimes sand bagger Megan (LOL). More about the sand bagging comes later in the post if you are wondering.

We headed up to Old Bell for the start. The 4 mile tempo would be run down the standard McAlpine 2 and ½ mile straight away and then out across Margret Wallace and finish at the 4 mile point along Harris Blvd.

Megan gave me this really sappy story about being tried and slow. I bought in hook, line, and sinker. We changed it to a predator run and I would give her and Jamaar a 90 seconds head start. (Not one of my better decisions)

Waiting patiently for 90 seconds is hard but I was good to my word. I round under the Sardis Rd. Bridge and looked down the trail. I could see the pink coat dancing along in the distance. Like a mule with a carrot out front, I started the chase.

About two miles I saw Jamaar stopping to tie his shoe. Actually I think he was feeling guilty and wanted to let me catch up. Because by 2 ½ unlike the mule, I quickly realize the carrot was getting any closer and if I was not mistaken, it was getting smaller in the distance. By the time, I passed Jamaar and crossed Margret Wallace the carrot was completely out sight.

I would not see the carrot again until the 4 mile point.

But the pull was good for me, I logged 6:35, 6:22, 6:23, and 6:24 miles. And for little Miss Sand Bagger (LOL) the loads and loads of miles appears to be making her pretty fast.

On the way back, we did 5 x 800 with a 400 recovery. Something I realized today, Jamaar has some wheels. He could just blow by us. My legs could never do that – not even 20 years ago.

The first couple of 800s my legs felt horrible. I felt like I couldn't get them to turn over at all. The 3rd 800 they just started to feel better. I tried to focus on relaxing and calm my breathing. The focus seemed to work because I felt better and stronger with each of the last 3 intervals.

Having not done anything months, I feel like I am really out practice and it is only slowly coming back.

Big thanks to Jamaar and Megan for helping with this effort. Having someone watching makes me dig a little harder when I might ordinarily slow down.


 

Sharing one thought at a time,


 

The Cool Down Runner


 

Comments

Popular Posts