NEWTON Gravity – shoe review

This past weekend, I swung by TrySports to check out the Natural Running Clinic being held at the store. They had people from Mike's Performance Therapy, Meredith giving insight into the Timex Watches with GPS, and of course the subject of this post NEWTON shoes.

I talked to the Mike and the NEWTON rep about the shoes and the tried on a couple of different pairs there at the store. They felt decent on my feet. This was the first time that I ever tried NEWTONs.

After doing a few short strides and talking with the Rep again, I decided to take the plunge. NEWTON talks up the whole idea of running on the mid foot and providing cushioning needed to do it.

Some of the shoes I have been wearing lately seem to feel paper thin after just a few miles of running and I thought NEWTONs would be interesting to try.

I settled on the NEWTON Gravity. The shoe is a neutral trainer and weighs in at 9.1 oz. in a size 9. My size 12 probably is pushing 10.5 oz.

The price is on the steep side at $175 dollars a pair but the rep pretty much guaranteed me 600 miles of running in them.

Monday, I went for my first real run in them.

The first couple of miles, my running felt awkward. I was landing on my heel and my fore foot felt like it was jacked up in the air.

But I began to adjust. I tried landing more on the fore foot and landing level on the foot pads. This did change my stride or at least it felt like it. Shorter strides felt the best.

The rest of run went fairly smoothly. I did notice toward the end of my run that my Achilles felt funny and so did my calves. I suspect shortening my stride had me compensating in other ways.

Definitely, I will not be wearing these shoes every day, but once or twice per week just to change things up will probably be the plan.


 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner


 


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts