Elitist reputation

Really smart people find ways to steer a course around controversy while others chart a course straight through horrific weather. All the while, knowing they have the fortitude to withstand the storm. One can only hope that "fair winds" lay ahead.

Delving into this subject is a sure sign that I will probably end up in some rough waters. But I cannot help myself; when I pushed the published button, my ship set sail.

More than a few times, the phrase "Charlotte Running Club" and "Elitist" have shared the same sentence. Honestly, I don't get it.

When they say it together, they make it come across as if it were a "bad thing" or something.

Is it so wrong to be successful? Is wrong for people to want to train hard and race hard? Then, do well in race? Personally, I don't feel like I am elite. Yet, I have had people say it to me. Let's be clear; I lace my running shoes pretty much the way as everyone else. I get tired. I have bad days and a few good days. I probably eat more bad foods than good foods. I love candy and chocolate chip cookies and a good Dr. Pepper when I can get one. I have a job. I have stress and yes, I have kids that I hope will grow into something better than me.

But what constitutes being elite. Is it being faster than someone else? So being faster means elite? Or is it running further than someone else? Does this mean elite?

Then why do people join a running club?

In my mind there are two reasons for joining a running club. I want to be around people who share a similar passion. Who will then help me enjoy the good days and help me through the bad days. But first and foremost, by joining a running club this likely means that I want to do more running. This then results in me running harder and further because in the running club I probably going to do more running with a group. This builds into me racing faster. Thus, the exact group that I once labeled as "elite" has helped me do something I never thought possible.

Best of all, they welcomed me in and shared their advice and their experiences. And as I start to close this post, the thought occurred to me. More often than not, I have heard people say "I don't want to run with him or her because they are too fast". But looking at it from the other shoe – I have never heard some say "I don't want to run with him or her because they are too slow". Usually, it is just "let's go run" which is what we want to do anyway.

So push the "pause" button the "elite" stuff and just enjoy the running. We will all be better for it.


 

Sharing one thought at time,


 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts