Busted

This morning an article came across my desktop about Martin Fagan being caught for taking performance enhancing substances.

Reading through the article made me suddenly flash back to a conversation between my daughter and myself this past weekend.

She asked if I had ever taken performance enhancing substances. Where she was getting her information or what prompted her questions, I don't know. Prying into the origin of her questions might have ended the conversation right there so I focused on answering her questions by being open and honest.

Explaining to a teenager that taking these substances will make you bigger, stronger, and faster is also wrong. It is also very hard. They don't see the world as an adult sees it. Being healthy, strong, and invincible is something they think will last forever. They see the world only for today and tomorrow is well tomorrow.

My hope is that my daughter will follow my lead and never consider taking them. The risk vs. reward is not worth it but is only part of the overall picture. After one starts down the slippery slope of taking those substances, then one has to live with one's self knowing that their performances were not all their own. Personally, living with not winning is better than winning and knowing that I cheated to do it.


 

Sharing one thought at time,


 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts