Dressing for cold weather

Someone once told me that dressing for a warm summer day is easy. All you need to do is wear as little as possible and hope you don't get arrested for indecent exposure. The same cannot be said for running in the winter time. During those cold frigid mornings, the only exposed part of my running body will most likely be my eyeballs. Everything else will have at least one layer and some parts will be covered in multiple layers.

Many years ago, a friend of mine looked into my closet and asked why I had all this ski clothing when I didn't ski. I replied "I am a runner and runners learn very quickly how to stay warm during the winter time".

This is why I keeping coming back to this topic year after year when the weather really starts to turn cold. Dressing correctly can make the difference between a good run and a chilly experience. And, I do mean CHILLY experience.

Every runner is a little different in how they handle the cold temperatures.

Me for example, if my hands are cold, I am ready for the run to end quickly. This is true even if I am only 30 to 45 minutes into a run.

Usually down to 30 degrees, I will go with hat, shorts, light jacket, and light gloves. If the wind is blowing, I might opt for a wind vest and maybe a little heavier pair of gloves. The wind more than the cold can cut right through any clothing and chill the body at its core.

The core body and the legs are usually the warmest because this is where most of the work is being done and most of the blood is flowing.

Once the temperatures hit the 20s, I like add in tights and may be a little heavier jacket but one that I can unzip. If I am running into the wind, I'll have it zipped up to my neck. When the wind blows at my back, I'll unzip it to let the excess heat escape. I wear the tights because old and tired muscles are more easily pulled when the mercury heads south. Another way to think of it is; having warm and toasty legs can be the ounce of prevention against a serious injury.

Below 20, I convert over to mittens instead of gloves and possibly tights made of a slightly thicker material. Having the fingers together creates more warmth than having them separated into individual fingered sleeves. I might even cover up most of my face if the weather is really bad. I have even been known to grow a beard.

If temperatures are cold enough, I will even put those hunting heat packets into my gloves. I always keep a few handy.

As far as my feet are concerned, pretty much I just wear my usual running socks. Like my legs, my feet just never seem to get cold.

With the thermometer hovering around 18 degrees this morning, developing a cold weather dressing strategy needs to start now.


 


 

Sharing one thought at a time,

The Cool Down Runner


 

 

Comments

Popular Posts