10 Ten Miler Transfer

Peter B. and I had signed up for the Army 10 miler in the spring. We were hoping to organize a team for it, but the event sold out quickly.

Peter chased the 2nd option of trying to buy some transfers. The organizers of the Army 10 miler allow you to transfer your entry to another person if you cannot make. After several months of trying, Peter finally gave in. We were not going to be able to buy any transfers so all hopes doing the team competition for this year went out the window.

A few weeks ago, Peter B. and I decided that we would just sell our entries.

This is what brings me to the topic of this post.

I knew the Army 10 miler entries were in high demand, but I didn't know just how much until I posted as a seller on their website. Within minutes, emails started rolling into my inbox wanting to buy my entry. Wow, I thought selling my entry was going to be easy, but then, I started reading each of the emails. That's when it hit me that this wasn't going to be as easy as I thought. Each email included a comment from the potential buyer. One email was from a Commander trying to buy an entry for each man in his platoon. As I kept reading, each email writer made a case why I should sell my entry to them. Some were running the Army 10 miler for brothers, family, and friends lost or injured during the recent wars. Some of the reasons just made your heart go out to them.

I finally settled on this one woman. Her husband had been badly wounded and was recovering but he had set a goal of them both finishing the Army 10 miler together. He and she had been training together in hopes of achieving their goal. Long story short, he was able to gain entry via his military status. However, she was unable to get one via him being in the military and by the time she found out, the open registration was sold out. So I am happy to say they will now be running the race together. And rather than send me the entry fee back, I ask her to take the entry fee and make a donation to the wounded warrior program. The donation would be a much better use for it than anything that I could do with it. My one favor that I did ask was that they take a picture at the finish and send it to me. Sometimes a smile is all the payment that any of us really need.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts