Running when traveling on Business

Traveling presents some special challenges for us runners such as where to run and how far we have run.

Just a few years ago when I traveled I would measure everything based on time and always had a stop watch on my wrist and usually just wondered around until I ran for predetermined time period. Most times, I crossed my fingers that I didn’t wonder into a rough neighborhood.

Then with the expanse of the internet and especially the extras from Google things have become much easier.

Now, I use Google to look up the street address of the hotel. Google then gives me a nice aerial view of the surrounding area. Then, if they have completed the street view in the city where I am visiting, I can literally preview the neighborhood before ever taking a step through them. Putting these two tools together I can plan out a nice running route with some certainty that I can find my way and be rest assured that it should be safe.

So now that I have mapped out a nice running route, I once again lean on technology to help me out. This time I swap out my reliable stop watch for a Garmin.

A couple of years ago I picked up my Garmin at TrySports in south Charlotte and have loved it ever since.

During my most recent trip to Atlanta, I used it for both measuring my runs and for the interval workouts. Because the Garmin provides both distance and splits, I can run my mile repeats or dip down and do quarter mile repeats. So I no longer have any excuses for missing a workout no matter where I am in the world.

Another perk of the Garm is that later at work, I plug up my Garmin to my PC for recharging and to upload the stats from my latest run.

If you have to travel out of town, definitely you should consider using Google checkout the area and a Garmin to keep track the workouts. Both will keep you running just like at home and with relative safety.

Comments

Popular Posts