Post Marathon Reflections

Okay, after 4 days my body is just starting to recovery. Beginning with my Monday morning run, my quads were killing me and my hamstrings were not much better. By Tuesday afternoon, my calves were also just as tight.

Normally, I shy away from pain medication, but I kept a bottle of Motrin handing. Although, it didn’t feel like it helped.

Walking was difficult and if I had to set for long periods of time, getting up from a chair was difficult.

Running was little better yesterday morning and was slightly better this morning. But hey, sometimes you bounce back faster and sometime you don’t.

As for the race, thinking back I don’t believe there is anything that I would do differently. Given the weather conditions and the course layout, I probably ran as well as possible.

Over the last 3 marathons, I have come to realize that I need to work on my stretching – especially with the hamstrings. Also I probably need to strengthen my hamstring by getting back in the weight room. Late in the race when I need to push for the finish, I need to have something left in those hamstrings. Thus far, my hamstrings have not had it.


So it looks like I have some work to do before tackling a fall marathon.

Comments

Popular Posts