The Summer Heat has arrived

You know. May was a pretty cool month in my opinion. Yes, we had a couple of warm days but nothing was on par with this first week of June. This started me thinking that I am behind in my heat acclamation efforts for 2020. Before you ask, I have no idea why I am worried about this. Likely, it will be the fall or later before racing picks up again. 

Anyway, acclamation comes from training and training in the heat. Following that line of thinking, I decided to push my long run start time back to 10 AM last Saturday for my 20 miler.

Of course, everything starts out sounding like a good idea. Then, it usually turns in to total disaster.

Since I have find ways to entertain myself, I decided to do a perimeter run around the WWC trails. I started on North Main, and basically ran outside of every trail with a couple exceptions.  I was totally lost in thought and missed the Weigh Station trail. Later, because I only wanted 20 miles, I had to skip the Rail trail as well.

Essentially, I followed the North Main trail to the South Main trail. As I said, I absent mindlessly missed the Weigh Station trail. I did pick up Slalom and Lake Loops. I ran the back side of East Main and Tributary. Yes, this means running it backwards. Across the road, I picked up Smokey, and the back side of Bandit, and finally, the backside of Thread back to the WWC. This turns out to be roughly 20 miles - give or take some extra depending on Garmin.

It was something different to do and gave me a new challenge to complete.

Along the way, the 90 degree heat and humidity kicked my rear. In total, I drank more than 5 liters of water. In contrast, during Jan, Feb, and March, I rarely drank more than a liter on a 20 miler. Heat takes a toll on the human body. I suspect it is even greater on my aging body.

Still, I finished walked way happy. I knew that this was another great day to be alive and enjoying the great outdoors.

The Cool Down Runner


 

Comments

Popular Posts