Running up the miles

Yesterday, I was settling up my running log for the month of May. I had not thought much about how many miles that I had been running. The quarantine life has left me in the rinse, eat, sleep, run, work, and repeat mode.

My eyes settled on the total for the month of May. Then, I leafed back through my log book to see what I had totaled for the month of April. My eyes grow a little larger as the realization set in.

In April, I ran 345 miles which is a lot for me, but my jar dropped at the total for May. I ran a whopping 405 miles.

Is there any wonder my legs have been feeling heavy. That's nearly 800 miles in two months. I am not 25. I should not be doing this quantity of mileage. It does not make any sense. Yet, this is where my mileage total landed.

Of course, I should have expected it. Having no races has left me looking for other ways to challenge my self. Ultra long runs seems to be where I have choose to spend my time. Is it a good use of my time. I guess it all depends on who you ask. To me, I get to explore a few areas that few others have chosen to venture. Running 20+ miles, I can cover a lot territory and see a lot different things. I say that it is worth it.

This summer may be even the rest of this year may become the lost year for racing but this just means that we should be exploring the world around more. Our legs can carry deep in the trails. Creating adventures we will remember for the rest of our lives.

Explore some place new this weekend. Make an adventure.

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts