Missing Amazon Neck Gaiter

Wanted to share this story because I thought that it was pretty humorous.

With all of the Covid stuff running around, I figured it was time to add to my collection of neck gaiters. I only have a couple of them. It isn't something like shorts or singlets which I have numerous ones. Mostly because, I don't wear them that often.

But with this Covid virus, I find myself wearing them more now.

So now that you have a little back story, let get the good part.

I went on to Amazon looking for them. I went to Amazon because I have a Prime membership. Stuff magically shows up on my door step anywhere from a few hours to a few days of ordering it.

I browsed the various ones available, and I made my selection. I clicked "buy". Amazon confirmed my order and told me that it would arrive yesterday.

Sure enough, my door bell camera gave a me a heads up that someone was at my door, and I could see my package being delivered.

I went and brought it in side. I was busy at the time so I laid it aside for the moment. But as I was picking it up, I struck by the fact that something felt wrong with the package. I was busy so I didn't linger on.

This morning, I saw package laying on the table so I figured that I would open it. I was kind of excited to test out the neck gaiter.

When I picked it up, I was reminded of the "thought" from yesterday. The package didn't feel right. This time, I tore it open and peeked inside. Oh, was I disappointed. My gut was telling that something was wrong and now, I was staring in to an empty package.

All sorts of thoughts went through my head. From how could someone seal up and send the package, to no one handling it found it odd, to the driver not thinking about it. Maybe handling millions of package makes you gloss over this fact. I don't know.

So I headed over to Amazon.com to see if I could get some help. After 20 minutes of clicking on screens, I found an option for a chat. I really think Amazon should make this easier to find. I have my suspension why it isn't and I am sure you do to. Anyway, apparently this chat agent recognized in some way what my issue was. It pulled in my neck gaiter order and asked me if this was what I needed help.

I responded "yes". Then, it went through a number of other questions. To which, I finally responded that my package was empty. This turned the entire chat. It asked if I wanted to reorder or a refund. Mind you, at this point, I am thinking that I am chatting with a real person. I said reorder. It then went on to say that it setup my reorder, and my neck gaiter should arrive in a couple of days.

I was happy about this but I was also now curious. Was I talking with a human being or some part of the supreme intelligence. After all, I just typed that my package was empty, and it recognized what I said. Then, it took the right action.

It asked if I had any other questions. This is when I popped the "pinocchio" question "are you a real person?". It responded that it would connect me with a live agent. Ok, so I am interacting with some fairly intelligent software or was I. May be because of my question, whoever was setting there, was pulling my leg. I have not way of knowing for sure. I stopped messing with it out of fear that it might start big brothering all of my packages. Or worse, send me more empty packages. 

Still when you think about it. If it was some software doing and it recognize my response about an empty package, makes you wonder if Amazon delivers more empty packages than one might expect.

Like I said, I found the entire experience quite humorous,

The Cool Down Runner




Comments

Popular Posts